The Virginia State University Chapter, the Alpha Phi (E) of Kappa Alpha Psi, was founded at Virginia State College on March 30, 1935 by William Thomas Carter.
The Alpha Phi Chapter has produced outstanding brothers such as Billy Taylor and Reginald Lewis who, through leadership and training, have made significant contributions to the African-American community. Because of the Alpha Phi Chapter’s reputation for making great brothers and it’s legendary hospitality, it is know as “The Beast of the East” and is seen as a beacon of light throughout all of Kappadom.
- Chapter The Virginia State University Chapter, the Alpha Phi of Kappa Alpha Psi
- Year March 30, 1935
- Location Petersburg, Virginia
- President 3
- Alumni organizers♦ William Thomas Carter [Epsilon: 1929] ♦ John M. Hunter [Mu charter member: 1920] ♦ Thomas Verdell (Theta: 1926]
- Student organizers ♦ Marcellus A. Williams [Alpha Gamma: 1934], Polemarch ♦ Rudolph 0. Williams [Alpha Gamma: 1934], Vice Polemarch
- Charter initiates♦ James A. Johnson [Keeper of Records] ♦ Al Inman [Strategus]